PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 03:57
cordwainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely wasn't suggesting you obtain autopsy records - that would be too grim, and I wouldn't be so insensitive.

Instead, the suggestion is to obtain the transcript from the Coroner's Jury hearing. That would contain the verbatim statements from the eyewitnesses and first responders, as well as from some of the investigators at the scene.

The point of the Coroner's Jury hearing was primarily to determine whether the deaths were accidental or if some person or party bore responsibility (e.g., were there grounds for manslaughter or negligence charges). The verdict was the crash was an accident.

My impression was that the Coroner's role at that time was similar to that of the Coroner in British jurisprudence. This is no longer true, but in 1961 Coroner was an elected position, and didn't actually require any medical knowledge or background.

A lot of the testimony and evidence are probably identical to that given at the CAB's separate hearing 6 days later. Since thus far it is proving impossible to locate any of the CAB transcripts or detailed investigation files, it seemed the Coroner's Jury hearing transcript would be the next best thing. If you could actually get it, which as noted is the problem.

Cheers,
c

Last edited by cordwainer; 13th Nov 2017 at 04:01. Reason: my inability to spell "coroner" the same way consistently