PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2017, 15:31
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still trying to nail down where he was. He shows no sign of zooming, but he could have had something like a 3-lens turret, pretty common for a movie camera of the era. If you compare the AtImpact image with the press photo that I use for my overhead view in my document (page 41), He's somewhere on a line roughly between point Y and the lower left corner of the image. He could conceivably be filming through the railroad wires running beside the tracks.

His second shooting position was down below that structure I mentioned earlier, and if you view the video its footing is clearly quite a bit above him. Also note in the OverTrack image that there's a power pole on his near side of the track almost between him and the impact site (the red spot in the distance), and the next power pole to the left is on the opposite side of the track. So the low-voltage line crosses the track at that point, and presumably the high-tension line does as well. The highest two frames of the OverTrack image show the bottom conductor of the high-tension line. On page 70 of my document you can just barely pick out a couple poles at the bottom of the picture, and see that the power lines are crossing the tracks.

At the pole in front of him, the lines drop down quite quickly but are parallel and under some tension at least. It appears that the string of poles is dropping down into the lower elevation from which he filmed up at the structure (landing lights?). So the droop on the right side of the OverTrack image is not severed lines, and if they were cut it was beyond a following pole off to the right.

I'll work on a composite from that lower vantage some more. It's pretty terrible film.

booke23 - this is what I keep begging for, and the reason I release my research in stages. I ask people to pass it around in the hopes that it will come to the attention of someone who knows where to find documentation.