PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2017, 03:46
SealinkBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by owenc
I have used a number of services to Gatwick and it varies.

Thameslink to London Bridge: 30 minutes+
Thameslink to Farringdon: 1 hour.
Thameslink to City Thameslink: 1 hour.
Thameslink to St Pancras: 65 minutes.
Southern to London Bridge: 70 minutes.
Gatwick Express: 30 minutes.

So aside from the Gatwick express, most services to Central London are in excess of 50 minutes, which is a longer journey than the Greater Anglia operated Stansted Express.

I don't think the Stansted Express is pathetic, it operates every 15 minutes and only takes 30-40 minutes. The service has wifi and is operated by class 379 trains which are under 7 years old, aside from the Thameslink class 700, the other operators use older trains. If you use Southern, you run the risk of having your service cancelled with their strikes, which btw are ongoing at the moment.

So, I think your issue is outright snobbery.
There is no Liverpool Street to Stansted journey possible in 30 minutes. If I am being accused of snobbery, what are you trying to prove with fake stats?
And I do think Stansted Airport is an awful airport. I am not a huge fan of any airport (well, apart from Inverness and London City maybe) but I actively avoid any flight that uses Stansted. It's just hassle from start to finish.

I use Gatwick regularly, you've taken the slow stopping trains as a measure of overall journey times.

Gatwick to London Bridge is 32 minutes, every 30 minutes.
Gatwick to London Victoria is 31 minutes on Southern and 33 minutes on Gatwick Express.

Gatwick Express should actually be replaced with more Southern trains, as it's a waste capacity.

This is seriously off topic now.