PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde 4590
Thread: Concorde 4590
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2017, 16:45
atakacs

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I have watched the video (great material btw, highly recommended for anyone interested in this tragic accident). I am in full agreement with Capt. Hutchinson that there were many contributing factors and that the "infamous" titanium strip was just a piece of the puzzle. I would go as far a to say that the BEA report, however comprehensive, is definitely not weighting all those factors adequately. And I would venture to say that they were both very unlucky and very lucky (they could have very well collided with the 747).

I also agree that the actions of the crew, especially pre-takeoff but also during the emergency, were subpar and not conforming to established procedures.

Yet, given the circumstances and the law of physics, and without the benefit of hindsight, there is zero chance that they would have walked away from this one. The only better outcome I can imagine is a more or less controlled crash landing in a field or on the Bourget runway, thus sparing the lives of the people in the hotel. Which, admittedly, is not negligible...