PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 8th Nov 2017, 15:11
coopR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lee1321
Hello to every fellow enthusiasts out there!

I am looking for a little bit of help or suggestions you may have to kickstart my career in aviation.
It has been a dream of mine since a very young age to become a pilot. It is now that I am starting to put into place a pathway to succeed in my dreams. However, the sheer wealth of information out there at the moment can be overwhelming for a beginner like myself.

Okay, a bit of background about me. I have absolutely 0 knowledge of flying and no prior experience. I meet all the required criteria for becoming a pilot; EASA medical class 1, subjects and honours etc.. I am a European citizen with residence in both Finland and Ireland.

Now, where to begin? I have the opportunity (acceptance pending) to start my career with an ATPL certificate which is offered by programmes in Finland, Germany, Norway and the UK.
I also would have an opportunity to apply for a MPL license with Qatar Airways.

My question is, what route would you suggest I take? Is it risky to take an ATPL certificate at an academy that has no direct airline partners?

I'm sure this question has been asked plenty of times but each case is different. Any opinions or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Hi,
There are pros and cons of both really. If you opt for the MPL route you have more security of obtaining a job at the end compared to the standard White Tail Route as its sometimes referred to. But, have in mind that you are usually bonded to the airline (Qatar) for x many years and also you will have to do UK ATPL exams if you wanted to come back. If you do the standard ATPL route you have more freedom on who you want to work for, but you will then have to find a job after you have spent a lot of money for your training.

A bit of advice from me would be that you are choosing a career and there are many ways to get there. However, there are some options or routes you take which the career will also dramatically affect your lifestyle. For example if you chose the quatar MPL you would have to live there and would your views and lifestyle fit in with theirs?

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.