PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2017, 21:58
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@LG6753

Nice bit of work, looking into all of that...

Looking pretty similar to this year, so no huge surprises there. But by documenting this makes you realise how impressive Wizz are at LTN!

Shame about Split if it has been dropped, and I suspect it has as the other summer seasonal flights to Tuzla and Ohrid are on sale, so there is no reason why Split wouldn't be on sale if the route was going to operate.

@Falcon666
On the two occasions I flew to Split this summer, it was roughly a 1-2pm departure and arrived back at Luton around 8pm, and was operated by a Kaunas based aircraft and crew.

Wizz Air had the Luton to Split market to itself until this Summer when easyJet also started on the route, and suspect this might be a likely cause. Also easyJet are operating the route daily next summer when it was 3x weekly this summer, and Wizz was 3-5x daily.

I've used the route numerous times, and Wizz use to charge some pretty handsome prices in the summer months when they had the route to themselves, and this year prices were noticeably cheaper, once easyJet were biting at their heels.

As the Split route is primarily used by Brits going on holiday, I guess easyJet have the upper hand as more of a household name, than Wizz does, despite them operating it for the last six or seven years. Also easyJet have opened up routes to Zadar and Dubrovnik on the Croatian coast too this year.

Wizz doesn't seem to have had much luck with Croatia, having dropped routes to Zagreb, Osijek and Dubrovnik in recent years...