PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enter Air landing Salzburg
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2017, 20:50
cactusbusdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vessbot
CRJ at an American regional. The particular procedures for your plane/airline can not substantiate your absolute statements that "no one" lands at idle in that situation, or that even on a normal approach you don't pull to idle until 20 feet.

Edmundronald actually has demonstrated a very good grasp of the problem/situation, which is that the spool up lag of a jet creates a vulnerable time gap between setting idle power and touching down, during which you cannot climb and might very well be committed to touching down even after a go-around decision has been made, and power applied. That somebody's procedures for a gusty crosswind would call for a later pull to idle so as to shrink this time gap and mitigate the problem, is a confirmation of his reasoning and not a refutation.

But what I see is not reasoned responses to his posts, but instead people looking to make the most obtuse, willful misinterpretations of them, so as to conjure up justification to jump down his throat for having the temerity to post where only the vaunted professionals are allowed.

I don't want to beat this into a dead horse, but.....

When you do a Cat3 approach in the sim what happens when you get a failure inside of 100'? You go around, right? In a large jet, or even a RJ, you will get contact with the runway if the go around is triggered at a low enough altitude. But you are committed to the go, you never, never attempt to land after the go around is initiated. The power comes up from the approach power setting and off you go. I've done a hundred of them, the sim IPs just love to do the "no flare" failure. Or the proverbial "truck on the runway, go around".

I can assure you that if you ever try to abort a go around once you have hit the TOGA switch you will get a bust for that maneuver. The only time you would reject out of a go around is if you totally cocked it up and stayed on the ground long enough to trigger the spoilers or you had selected reveres thrust. The Air/ground switch switches to landed mode after about 3 seconds (sorry, that's off the top of my head). So you have a second or two on the runway to allow for thrust to fully come up if ground contact was made.

I am sure that these guys were spring loaded to do a go around if things did not work out, which is what transpired. When that wing dipped in the gust there were probably two hands ready to push up the levers. You can just tell by how quickly it climbed that the engines were up enough to quickly reach go around thrust.