PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 04:33
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Try your luck on standby staff travel and probably pocket a healthy balance. A question here is do you guys have access to accurate loading numbers to see what the chances of gettin on business class are? Additionally what airlines flying to Australia do you get business staff travel on? (From what I've read on here you generally aren't a fan of this method as it sets a bad precedent to the company). You can get pretty good ideas of ANA loads but other airlines' loads are subject to using the same ZED information that all airline staff can get hold of. Generally that's just a green, yellow or red face. The only airline we can get business class ZED fares is ANA. ANA fly to Sydney and you can get a business class ZED ticket a fair amount of the time but forget it in the summer when the Japanese go to SYD for their Cairns visit. Lots of people, especially FOs, use this method and pocket the change from the $2000. I don't think there are any strong views about using it or not....so long as the Company continues to provide the C class option for those who want it I don't think anyone cares what method others use.

2) Forego the $2,000 and take a confirmed business ticket home. Now, if you choose to fly somewhere that the ANA group does not fly directly do they assume all costs getting you there? For example if I chose to live in Perth would they fly you to Sydney then across to Perth on QF, or only get you to SYD and the rest is up to you? They'll get you to where you live, even if it is a two stop. There are a few Perth commuters with AJX and you can choose to use QF or SQ to get you there. SQ you'll go HND-SIN-PER but QF you've got a few more options to go from NRT or HND via SYD, MEL or BNE.

3) This is the method I understand the least. Basically you pay for your own confirmed business class ticket but at a reduced rate? Or a special staff rate? If that's the case is that available year round or only in off peak? Or have I got this part completely wrong?Never heard of that method, so I think you've got it completely wrong. You either take the $2000 and make your own way (using ZED or 'normal' tickets) or get the Company to book your C class and do not collect $2000.

At what stage in the previous roster month do you advise the company what method you want to use for the next month to commute and can it be changed last minute? For instance, say next month you feel the flights will be very full so you opt for the confirmed business seat (option 1) then a day or two before your flight find business class is nearly empty, can you then change to the 2k option and fly ID90 home? You need to submit your C class request by the 25th (I think) of the month before and cannot then cancel it as you've asked. By then the ticket will be issued and any changes will cost you $500 but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't see a cancellation as a 'change'. You can chop and change each month and are not tied to one method but once you've gone down the C class for that month you cannot then cancel it a couple of days beforehand.