PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enter Air landing Salzburg
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2017, 23:01
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
JW, yes but 15 degrees would be a dramatic angle, while up to 5 degrees, even 7, might just have saved that right wing dropping - given that it had that extra speed to support the manoeuvre. One would have to be very mindful that a 60 degree crosswind might suddenly become a tail wind and speed an embarrassment. Also, I'm making the assumption that other techniques might obviate such severe compression of the gear, and all that goes with that.

Yes, it's all very different to the old days, though we had to be mindful of flaps. It occurs to me that what happened here could be as a direct result of manufacturer's strangling mandates based on early testing. Days like this one are the real world and demands on the crew might well make dramatic departures from testing envelope limits.

I must make it quite clear, my prime argument is about the strangulation of crew abilities because of hard and fast rules.

I've mentioned recently being thrown sideways over some buildings at about 100' during a Palma takeoff. There was zero on one ASI, and 350kts on the other. I doubt there had ever been the feedback to cover such a bizarre split from current teaching.

Anyway, until there is a definitive log of the ground-speed, any thoughts I have about that issue are little more than guesswork.