PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality check - from someone not in the know
Old 1st Nov 2017, 16:12
Tagzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by +TSRA
No, you're right - most of them spend a lot more.
Go fly a Beaver in Canada or a Twin Otter or Caravan in Africa. That is flying, and you'll enjoy it more when you look back and realize 20 years have passed and you've seen really cool things instead of hotel rooms and restaurants.
100% with you there. I'm not passionate about flying jet engine aircraft, I just want to fly and if I could do what you just described whilst supporting my family then I would do that over airline work any day. Hence my comment in my original post about aiming to be an FI or fly skydivers around. That is the sort of work I think I'd really enjoy. Just not sure it will pay the bills.

Oh and in twenty years time I'll be asking how did I get to 50 so quick, I'm not the youngest of budding pilots. I've got a mortgage and by April I'll have two kids, so you can see where my frustrations are coming from.

I also agree with you about not blaming airlines. It's mostly why I posted the topic. It would be good if passionate aviators weren't so willing to sell themselves down the river....