PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear Anna, Rupert...et al. Do you hear the approaching thunder...?
Old 26th Oct 2017, 03:23
checklistcomplete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, A great mate in CX asked me to log onto this site and give you guys a heads up about flying for China Southern.
I was formerly on the 777 with them based in China but two years ago moved over to the 787 base in Vancouver. In the LHS I earn and am paid in USD378K last year and USD362K in 2016. That is tax free in Canada as I pay 6% tax in China but this is refunded by the company at the end of each year. I am based in YVR and the other 2 pilots are normally Canadian Chinese also based in YVR. Cabin crew are from China and often Shanghai based on a W pattern.
The aircraft are brand spanking new and a joy to operate.
I get 6 weeks leave per year and can take this as and when I like providing I give one months roster advance notice. You always get you requested leave.
My roster is published on the first of every month for the next month but being YVR based is fairly predictable with 3.5 return flights per month and two days paid standby. This last year I have had pretty well every weekend off with my family.
I have met the Chief Pilot once and renew the various ratings once a year at a one week refresher training week. Staff travel is excellent and covers just about every airline in the world ( including CX ). Captains travel business class at all times when positioning which is rare in my case. You can change base giving one years notice. So for example my eldest is starting uni in UK next year and I have applied to move to AMS. It has been granted already and I keep my USD salary.
Paul asked me to comment on the horror stories. truthfully there aren't any in my case. I find the company easy to communicate with. They listen and pamper almost every request. The few times I do fly with China based FO's they are well mannered, impecably turned out and do their job well. I believe you have a different story in CX with the "spikey hair brigade ?"
I had reservations about leaving my old outfit in Japan but have never looked back. China Southern is very forward thinking, respects it's pilot workforce and rewards us fairly. No union of course but then I hear you don't have an effective one either.
I was asked to write this and am happy to do so.The grass is greener over here. Relatively stress free, good rewards and RESPECT. I'll keep going here until I have to retire.

Good luck to you all.