PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weird Aero Shop in paris
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2017, 01:46
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Paris, but I remember some years ago arriving very early at Dinard to take the Ryanair back to Luton and as it was a nice day decided to have a stroll round the very quiet and minimalist airport precincts, hoping to see evidence of its tenure as a WW2 Luftwaffe base. There was none but not far from the terminal I spied a hand-crafted sign indicating 'musče d'aviation' and pointing towards a nearby hangar, so off I trotted in eager anticipation.

I was the only visitor, and after the custodian's old dog had tried to welcome me by peeing over my foot his owner introduced himself as Pierre, a former Air France ground-engineer who, following injury and early retirement had decided to display his lifetime collection of aeronautical memorabilia to the public. Randomly displayed in no particular order it was like stepping into an aircraft lovers dream. He had bits of everything. Seats, trolleys, instruments, photographs, engines, fuel-pumps, windows, brochures, manuals, uniforms - mainly Air France and UTA but with some BOAC, BEA and other UK stuff.

He was a mine of information, nostalgia and stories and I happily spent a very pleasant couple of hours with him until the whine of the Ryanair's arrival announced itself and I was obliged to leave. I wished other airports had similar pleasant diversions and eagerly looked out for him at my next visit to Dinard. Sadly, the hangar was empty except for a few dusty sheets of paper, and it left me wondering whether he and his old dog had ever existed at all, but just been a figment of my imagination. I will forever wonder.