PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS on or off the rails?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2017, 07:49
Could be the last?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Melchett01

The contractorsiation of people, process and capability has now reached such a scale that it is 'normal' to spend the majority of the daily interaction engaging with civilians doing, what were 5-10 years ago, military roles.

Example:

I arrive at the Stn and FP is provided by a 'rotund' contractor in a high-viz ill fitting jacket, who is stood with his hands in his pocket (next to a sign that says verbal will not be tolerated). I then speak with my 'HR department' not PSF!, and engage with a jobsworth D grade CS, who has her own interpretation of the JSP for claims. I then need to get my PME, so I wonder off to the Med Ctre and have a contracted Doc give me the once over (If only). It's now lunchtime and I fancy something to eat, the civilian on the Mess reception checks my i.d. and 'tells' me that lunch is a restricted menu due to staffing challenges. The hotplate is then filled with pretty average food, metered out by a less than interested individual. In the afternoon, I decide to visit stores to obtain some pre-det kit and exchange some other stuff - sucking of teeth not sure we can issue that says another 'rotund' contractor. And it goes on......

So when you analyse the functions that have been contractorised and, more importantly, the secondary and tertiary roles that these trades once provided in an operational environment - FOB FP/ HNS Engagement/ MERT/ Field Kitchen/ COLPRO etc etc it is a good job that we live in a stable and non-expeditionary world - or B.

WRT MFTS, and having had a trg role in the 'old' system, all that was really needed (and I simplify) was a strategy that managed the trg ac fleets and bases appropriately - not a PFI that has systematically destroyed one of the world's finest aircrew trg systems. I also wonder, much like Brexit, if the decision to go with MFTS was reviewed, which way the vote would go? However, unlike Brexit, I think it is pretty certain that those individuals that made the original decision will not have to suffer the consequences.

Saturday morning rant complete - enjoy the weekend!