PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Query about SYD departure 34R for pilots.
Old 18th Oct 2017, 11:24
Big M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Query about SYD departure 34R for pilots.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for my question. Feel free to move or delete it.

I was sitting in Qantas Domestic terminal this afternoon looking across at the Qantas hangars. I'd watched a lot of aircraft take off towards the north from both of Sydney Airports runways. It was approx 2pm and a I saw a Qantas 737 that was heading north from the area of the third runway (34R) but it was banking hard to the left and flying over the Qantas hangars(245 & 271) heading out to the north west over the main runway. I thought this was unusual as most take-offs from that runway(and a lot that I've been a passenger on) bank hard to the right and out over the ocean to the east.
There had been fairly regular take offs from the main runway to the north both before and after and it seemed a bit unusual that an aircraft from the right hand runway would lift off and immediately turn left into the space of the main runway(34left).
After playing with one of the flight radar tracking apps I think it was aircraft VH-VYE which was a flight from Sydney to Cairns. Number QF926.
Was curious to know from pilots or controllers if this is a normal departure to come straight across another parallel runway and if it happens in other cities.