PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human Factors in aircraft maintenance
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2017, 17:25
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Capot
The point of Human Factors training is that it is not a lecture and it is not carried out by a trainer. OK, substitute "should not be" for "is not" in that sentence.

A really good Human Factors training session is a facilitated and guided discussion among those present.

The facilitator must be an experienced aircraft maintenance engineer who can apply his/her knowledge and experience to lead the discussion.

Standing up with a Powerpoint presentation to "teach" Human Factors is a waste of everyone's time, unless some or all present can catch up on their sleep, as they probably will.

I do realise that I'm talking about an ideal world, but there's no harm in having an almost unattainable target to aim at.
Capot,

Couldn't agree more with you, in the main. That said, and I've no wish to appear to be hijacking or diverting this thread from the perfectly reasonable request of the OP, what you suggest forms part of the delivery forms I've already mentioned.

Plus, facilitation also requires some training on the part of the trainer as a facilitator. No matter how experienced an engineer may be, it's not that easy to actually stand before a group and then deliver / facilitate the topic.

As I've been doing this successfully for about 6 years, prior to retirement, I think I may have some experience here...

A trained trainer is essential therefore.

PP does have a use, as an integral of blended learning, but, that's as far as it goes when you start to involve EBT / VLE ( and they work, trust me ) and get students actively involved.

Hence another reason for them doing some personal research on HF on other sectors to add to the diversity of the topic delivery and for them to gain a deeper understanding as to how prominent HF is in the working environment.