PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2017, 06:01
13Beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakeyhawk
Thanks avnx88,

How many attempts would we have at this ASP simulation before we are knocked back for good? I'm turning 20 next year, and realise this is still quite young for DEO application - (I was not recommended earlier this year at flight screening due to my "life experience" and flying scores.) Just wondering if it is worth it to apply again early, or if I should finish my engineering/science degree for 3 more years?

Also, it was raised a little while ago, but not addressed - does anyone know if there is a compulsory service period as part of the aviation selection under the new system - ie. if one was to be offered ATC, but not pilot after their initial training would they be able to decline the offer?
Perhaps the system will just stay the same with regards to being in the two year grace period prior to getting your wings/graduating, that you will be able to pull out at any time before graduation. You'd think they'd keep it that same way given how people will get streamed into entirely different careers from what they may have initially intended.

Then again, maybe they'll take a note from the Brits and the Yanks and once you're in, you're in...so help you God. Had an officer mate of mine in the USN, get accepted into pilot training. Was all good at low altitudes, until they went to the second tier of training which involved higher altitude flying. Turns out he had a severe inner ear issue; and had the instructor take the controls from him as he became so disoriented in the cockpit. Was immediately checked out by the doc, grounded permanently and reassigned to a general officer job elsewhere in the USN. Spent the next 6 years or so hating life until he could get out!