PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Cans A380 Tasman Flights to Auckland
Old 14th Oct 2017, 23:40
Hold_Short

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my own opinion, I would think they would increase the work force even more over at Jetconnect as all employees there get paid roughly 35% less than their Aussie counterparts. To the travelling public, they see the Qantas tail, the Qantas uniform and an english speaking crew, so they assume everyone on the 'good old' Qantas contracts all round. Little do they know that all employees over the ditch are only there for a short time not a long time.

I find it quite odd that this type of business even exists in the first place from a political perspective. How the Australian Government allows this type of shonky overseas operation to portray a fake image of 'Australian' service is beyond my understanding. How does the Australian workers union allow this to happen makes me question the fact that if its okay to do it now, why don't they continue to expand the operation if it is so cost effective?

As per Sykes comments, god only knows why people would move over there to take up a job that is so underpaid its quite hilarious. The cabin crew and pilots contracts are even below that of their 'low cost' operator Jetstar, yet they operate a full service brand. One example is, that Jetstar turboprop pilots get 'guaranteed' Business class duty travel over Jetconnect pilot duty travel. They are left stuck in economy on the aircraft they operate. I call that a copout!

I have a few mates who work there now and I had considered going there for 'experience' however, listening to the talk within the crew, I'll stick to my job here. The type of managers there are the laughing stock of the bunch, they are do nothing more than drive down the moral within the group. Its a shame because it could be a great division of the Qantas group but from my perspective its on the lowest of rungs for a premium airline, or so to speak.

These two gents have interviews elsewhere and they say there are countless others who are going shortly too. Let hope their pilots call the shots and stop putting up with such a backwards set of managers and start getting some progress with their negotiations.