PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ownership dispute
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2017, 12:47
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would add that on forums there is a wealth of experience, including people with personal experience of the law, simply rushing off to a lawyer for an opinion is not the best way to start. From my experience lawyers opinions are not only correct.

The logigal way forward is:

(a) Photocopy all the paperwork and make two paginated bundles, and cross reference to the evidence, with a skeleton argument.
(b) Request an informal, without prejudice meeting with those who claim to have a beneficial interest.
(c) Suggest that all parties enter into ADR (Alternate Dispute Resolution) in terms of mediation or arbitration, this (in England may protect you against a costs order, but not always.
(d) If a, b, c , fail that is the time to take a legal opinion, say a solicitor at £220 and hour and barristor by direct access probably £400 for an intial opinion, and to decide if he or she wants the case, of course paid up front.
(e) A cheaper alternative, some solicitors will give an intial 30 to 40 minute opinion for a little as £48, and for those of limited means, most universities have a free legal advice clinic, likewise in England the Pro Bono Bar Council is an option.
(f) Further to point d, check if you are insred for your legal costs through your personal, company or club insurance.

The concept of simply running off to a lawyer is completely flawed as many legal disputes can be resolved without reference to lawyers who are fueled by avarice.

Simple example, a dispute develops between A and B. B disputes a property boundary with A. A prints out the deed plan from the Land Registry and sends A a polite letter and copy of the deed plan to B that they need respond as to the basis of their claim. B takes legal advice, solicitor states B doesn't have a claim against A, B wastes £350 on legal advice, A wastes £4.00 on a search fee. The moral of the story is that A, never needed a lawers advice, because the deed plan clearly established the boundary.

I am unclear, why people running off to a lawyer at the onset will solve the problem, there are other options.