PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are we not using simulators for primary training?
Old 13th Oct 2017, 21:17
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TorqueStripe
Assuming you would have the possibility to train a PPL mostly in the sim with let's say 5 hours in the aircraft. Do you think that's enough to teach enough situational awareness/ADM/a good scanning technique? Not just talking about traffic which to a certain extent is simulated in higher level sims, but birds...cables...fences etc in confined areas...airspace around busy training areas? Risk management as well. There is no risk hopping in the sim...5 hours in the real aircraft I would consider very low for those aspects of training...it's either setting up for failure or may go the other way about not having/wanting to fly the actual aircraft with a single cloud in the sky ;-)
Those are good questions. Some of what you mention, I'm mostly thinking ADM, can probably be taught BETTER in the sim. The ability to set the weather/wind lets you conduct lots of scenarios that might not be such a good idea in the actual aircraft, and/or you can do several scenarios in a single lesson. You can actually let him get himself into a situation that you probably shouldn't let him get into with a real aircraft. Interesting question: at what point does doing that reinforces the wrong thing, i.e. that it's okay to go out in 1/4 mile and 40G55 in rain & mist? But certainly being able to simulate chip lights and low fuel warnings would allow that much more realistic aeronautical decision making practice.

Curious what you think would be adequate? Would 90 sim + 20 aircraft work? Just how much actual air time is required to teach those skills? In my experience 75% of the training time involves improving basic skills including handling emergencies, and while you are certainly continuing to push SA/ADM/etc., the main focus is on the skills building. So, if you build the skills in the sim, how many aircraft hours does it take to build the attitude towards risk management and safety that we want to instill?