PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR(R) then CBIR vs IR(A) Direct
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 11:47
Okavango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks rudestuff - the IR(R) is more practical for my immediate needs in the UK though I'd go straight to the IR(A) if the IR(R) would effectively be repeated and wasted effort (or in fact cost more by doing both rather than just straight to IR(A)).

Having done some more research my understanding is that the CBIR requires a minimum 40hrs instrument flight time, so with 10 from my CPL and 15 from an IR(R), on paper I'd then only need to do a further 15hrs instruction after an IR(R) (and at least 10 of which should be conducted by an ATO). In practise I'd assume I'm still going to need around 40hrs instruction though it does seem advantageous to progress to ability rather than the rigid min 45hrs required for the IR(A) (with prior CPL, 55 without).

I can't help feeling the IR(R) plus some experience must make the CBIR subsequently more straightforward and certainly seems to make the early training away from an ATO more convenient but would appreciate people's general experience and any confirmation of my understanding above. Many thanks.

Last edited by Okavango; 11th Oct 2017 at 21:51.