PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates. Not that bad, surely?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2017, 16:08
Exiled Martian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings Desert Dwellers,

Firstly apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I didn't feel like creating a new one as I thought this one would be perfectly adequate to get my questions across. I must admit that this particular thread among-st the many other surprisingly abundant 'EK is not OK' types I've been binging on has really jaded my mind set as to whether coming over to the pit would 'really' prove worthwhile.....Can someone please provide me some updated info on advancement within the company? Is it based on seniority, merit, something else? I'm coming from a 2300+ total hours with about 2000 on the 738 background, in a company/situation that I have grown tired of and fed up with, the way I see it it simply can't get worse than where I am. My expectation would be to get some wide body experience and then maybe an upgrade ~5-6 years thereafter? Please feel free to rain on my parade or correct my Utopian expectations accordingly.

Just a bit of background info; In my late twenties, due to get married very soon. Currently an SFO at an Irish LOCO and I'm seriously considering the long haul opportunity the likes of EK/QR are offering with a goal/mindset/game plan to come to the desert do my time of a decade or so worth of graft and come back to Blighty hoping to be mortgage free with some respectable savings amassed in the process. For the record I'm not one of those self absorbed blingy flashy social media lothario types. Me and my wife to be are simply seeking to make the most of what we got whilst were young and able really. So I'm under no illusion of becoming a pilot gazzilionaire down there. Just sick and tired of slogging it in the LOCO world that's all...anyways meaningless rant over

I've always had a good impression on the aforementioned carriers, that is until I resorted to some heavy Googling of late which has left me a little bewildered or just in denial about the conditions over there, then I think to myself it surely can't get any worse then where I am; on a zero hour contract,no free H20, perkless on all accounts. What other credible outfit actually charges their own for RSTs/LPC/OPC. To top it off the recent absurd remarks spouted by the head harpist in the media makes you sick to the stomach, absolute defamation of the profession and its resolute workforce SMH. Anyways, I really don't have any viable contacts to consult with over there....hence why I'm making a plea on here really, Sigh, I've really got some big decisions ahead of me and frankly any advise/suggestions/guidance on the matter would be immensely appreciated either on here or via PM

Thank you for your time & have a Good evening folks!

EM

Last edited by Exiled Martian; 10th Oct 2017 at 19:20.