PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF66 CDG-LAX diverts - uncontained engine failure over Atlantic
Old 5th Oct 2017, 08:23
Squawk_ident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC transcript (Gander Center/ AFR066)

There are various archives files on LiveATC where you can hear the R/T between AF66 and GANDER Center or Goose.
LATC is archiving its audio feeds every 30 minutes for each recorded station. I believe that each uploader has his own receptor hence the good or poor reception is depending of their position.

The N°4 engine shutdown happened over Greenland at 1351Z. At that time one can observe that AF66 starts its security descent.

On LiveATC I've found the following feeds starting at 1430z :
-CYYT GND/TWR/Gander Center
-CYYR Gander Center

At that time AF66 is at FL270

The R/T between AFR66 and Gander is starting at + 18'18" (14.48'18"z) on both feeds.
A word of caution:
Both feeds are very likely scanners that grab pre-programmed frequencies. Scanner(s) stops on an active frequency( R/T) and, when transmission is ended on this frequency then jumps to another preselected freq if it becomes active etc... therefore transmissions with AFR66 are not entirely covered if another frequency become active in between. Frustrating sometimes...
Also : it seems that exists some kind of overlapping between each 30 minutes feeds therefore times indicated may be wrong.

This is my transcript from both feeds. CYYt appeared to be less cut by other transmissions. I could get almost the entire transmission using both CYYR and CYYT feeds.
+18'18"
AFR66 : GANDER Control this is AIRFRANCE 066 MAYDAY did you copy?
G : AIR FRANCE 066 HEAVY GANDER CENTER good day I read you loud and clear go ahead

AF : AIR FRANCE 066 MAYDAY FL 270 on course YYR request priority landing engine number four out and we are estimating the airfield at 1536.
G: OK I check the engine number 4 and you can expect priority landing and I check your estimate of 1536.
AF: [garbled]... and if possible to have the best runway for arrival?
G : AFR066 you can expect the RNAV runway 26 that will be straight in you can proceed direct BIVMI that's Bravo India Victor Mike India
AF : repeat the direct AIR FRANCE 066 MAYDAY?
G : that's : bravo india victor mike india it will be the initial fix for the RNAV 26
AF: OK from position direct to BIVMI for RNAV 26 at Goose and request priority when arrival
G: AFR066 even expect the fire services on the ground and can you confirm the fire is out on engine number 4?
AF : yes sir fire is out on engine number 4 but we have small/some? Damage on slat and the right wing
G : AFR066 say again your last?
AF :we have little damage on the slat on engine number 4 and we have big damage engine number 4
G : AFR066 I check your remark.

At +22'40" Gander request AFR66 to squawk 6050 and confirms "radar identified at FL270" at +23'48"

-CYYT1500Z

At +0252 AFR066 request descent and is cleared 14000 Alt. setting 30.04 at Goose.
AFR66 is requested to contact Goose on 119.5 at +03'34"

The other feeds are CYYR DEL/GND/TWR/APP from 1500z to 1600z.
You can check further CYYR feeds until landing and after. Sorry but the zip file won't upload...