PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Wrong Turn at HKG..?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2017, 17:09
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bekolblockage
That crossover period is a hazard in that aircraft cleared much earlier (particularly cargo whose off block time has a large degree of variance) may be initially issued the normal OCEAN SID, which subsequently is changed to the RASSE SID if they will then depart after 1500. I haven't heard the CDC playback so that would be interesting to confirm that as a first point of possible confusion.
I went back and scrubbed the LiveAtc.net tapes again and found the clearance for CX86 at about 15:40 into this clip:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/vh...2017-1500Z.mp3

CX86 calls for clearance to ANC with information O at stand C26.

They are cleared to ANC, flight plan route, RASSE 1E, squawk 3543.

The CX86 readback was RASSE 1, then 1A and the controller corrected it to RASSE 1E.

Originally Posted by bekolblockage
The rub here is that to Clearance Delivery, this is a Cathay callsigned flight and the fact that it is being operated by Polar/Atlas is not differentiated.

Is there a common understanding with the wetlease crews that they will receive this automatically and is it a foregone conclusion that ALL 74-8's are RF capable?? (I presume so but are there different user-spec available?

Originally Posted by bigduke6
Atlas/Polar -8's are all RF capable.

Authorized for Departures, but not for Arrivals or Approaches.
Whether a plane, crew or callsign is legal for some new-fangled published departure or approach is a familiar trap in international flying in my experience. For example, I've flown planes with RNP-1 procedures in the database that were not RNP-1 certified. And, even some aircraft on the same fleet may have different capabilities depending on whether some obscure software mod or engineering order has been accomplished. Even if the aircraft is capable, there is normally crew training that must be accomplished before using the new procedure.

Trying to figure out whether a B-748 flight with a Cathay callsign operated by Polar which is owned by Atlas using U.S. Op Specs is legal for an RF departure out of VHHH is kinda like trying to find a lost bag on a codeshare ticket.

I remember years ago over the NOPAC a controller asking me if I was CPDLC equipped. When I hesitated to reply he said (correctly) that if I didn't know, I probably wasn't.