PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Cancelling flights!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 19:25
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was reading these comments in the DT recently. These are paragraphs quoted from 3 different journalists discussing the London dispute with Uber. It made me make comparisons with some discussion going within our industry, and make comparisons with the topics under discussion. It also made me wonder why the similarities in our industry are NOT in focus and being debated in public. First it was Sports Direct, now Uber; when will an airline be the focus of attention on similar issues?

“While not mentioned by TFL, and not mentioned within the regulator’s remit, Uber has received a lot of criticism for the way it treats its drivers, who are self-employed instead of Uber workers. Politicians have rounded on the company as an emblem of the ‘gig economy’ that does not guarantee work benefits or a steady income for drivers. (That matter has become the subject of its own legal battle.)”

“London’s black cab drivers, and all private hire drivers in UK, deserve a level playing field with Uber. They don’t have one currently.”

“Uber is no stranger to controversy, whether that be for the record of its founder or for where it pays its taxes and how it treats its workers. All these things are real challenges. It’s right for them to be tackled.”

“Cynics might also suggest that the objections of TLF are veiled. Might it be that although TLF’s objections focus on safety concerns, what it actually objects to – and what the powerful trade union lobby who speak for London’s black cab drivers object to – is the flood of private hire vehicles on the street of the capital.”

“Others, like the GMB union, attack Uber for supposedly exploiting its drivers. They argue that Uber drivers are denied basic workers’ rights, like sick-pay, holiday leave and minimum wage. But Uber drivers are free to work for other providers, they choose their own hours, and polled the majority said they preferred the maintaining flexibility to having additional workers’ rights.”

The journalists also declared their own philosophy that Uber gave customers a choice; that it allowed free-wheeling entrepreneurship and markets forces to be in play; encouraged investment into job creation and broke closed shop cartels. i.e. if the customer benefited from lower prices and reasonable safe standards then all was right with the world.
The question of a how to create a level playing field, both in complying with the same regulations and workers’ rights, was not answered. They all seemed to come down on the side of free market business and passenger choice triumphed over basic employment conditions.