PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF66 CDG-LAX diverts - uncontained engine failure over Atlantic
Old 30th Sep 2017, 21:59
ChrisVJ

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
FBO is a small office, old and smelling of smoke!
However Goose Bay is a huge air force base, 95% unoccupied. Barracks maintained for German and other forces who used to train there, electricity and heat on permanently. Weekend services generally maintained for a few staff only. Most gone home for week end and not answering their phones, I suspect.

Unless AF have a 380 or a couple of other planes (don't know how loaded they were) lying around unused and crews to fly them it's going to take a lot more than 8 hours to get anything on the ground there to lift the passengers. Perhaps the captain (or their managers) is an optimist.

I appreciate the crew's caution, no need for an emergebncy evacuation if everything stabilized prior to landing, however the aircraft has sustained a substantial damaging event and if I was crew or passenger I would want everyone off the aircraft immediately after landing 'just in case.' Not good sitting in a badly damage aircraft for seven or eight hours.

Edit: Missed Beamender's post. Interesting.