PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Wrong Turn at HKG..?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2017, 18:48
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrmyl
I just landed in HKG and was thinking about this as we came in. I am wondering if they put in the runway but failed to load the departure in the FMS. That would explain the turn. I imagine their first waypoint on their flightplan was Ocean. Arm LNAV prior to departure and at 400' it turns direct to Ocean. Would just about put them right into the mountain.
Looks like the filed route started out with OCEAN V3 ENVAR:

Cathay Pacific (CX) #86 24-Sep-2017 HKG / VHHH - PANC FlightAware

Since RASSE is on V3 and the B-748 has radius-to-fix capability my guess for the departure off 07R after 15Z was the RASSE1E:

http://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/AIP/A...RASSE%20EF.pdf

However, I've guessed wrong many times in my own plane in HKG and other exotic departure points.

Note that PORPA is not a fly-over point on the RF departure.

I can't imagine even a cargo crew not briefing and setting a departure out of Hong Kong. Did they guess the wrong departure or runway, catch the mistake when the picture didn't look right lining up on the runway and try to hurriedly patch the route at the wrong point dropping PORPA?

Originally Posted by jrmyl
Can't wait to see a report on this.
Will there be a report? Or, since it's a freighter maybe only a company ASAP mea culpa filed and a note two months later in the company safety bulletin?

And maybe a noise violation fine for Cathay or Atlas/Polar?