PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dxb-Dme info
Thread: Dxb-Dme info
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2017, 15:51
Fuel-Off

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm rather tired of the 'children of the magenta line' rhetoric. What would you have us (my generation - millennials) do? Get some time on a DC-10? L-1011? No, no they're all retired. Ahh...F27? No, they're mostly all decommissioned too. Oh, the legendary 727? Wait, they're pretty much banned anywhere because those JT8Ds scream too loudly. Or would you prefer us to get some time on the Sud Caravelle? Nope, they're all out of the sky too.

So really, our generation is a result of those aircraft being sent to the scrap heap and having nothing really to cut our teeth on unless it actually has a magenta line. Personally, I would have loved to have flown a 707 or 747SP and do some REAL heavy flying. But valves, mechanical linkages, ducts and IRUs are being replaced with microswitches, FADEC, Fly-by-wire and of course that much belied magenta line.

On the line, impart us with the knowledge of your yesteryears. Everyone loves a good war story so long as we can learn from it. Granted, some Millennials are rather sensitive to constructive criticism, but honestly that is only a few. Don't forget, you guys started from somewhere too. Yes, FOs on the line are expected to demonstrate a degree of proficiency so when the situation turns to the proverbial, everyone gets to go home safely, and line captains aren't exactly expected to 'train' on every flight. But guidance isn't such a bad thing. Whether you like it or not, you're role models for the next generation of captains.

As for instagramming in the flight deck, tell them! It's your flight deck. Like most pilots, we like to chronicle our experiences throughout our careers. The previous generation had Polaroids, scrapbooks and the like. Our platform is a little bit more instantaneous (and a whole lot more public) which can catch a few off guard when they are asked to explain themselves to Fleet. I for one have been shown photos of FOs who have taken some snaps in delightful places such as Dubai, Kabul, India to name a few, ALL of which photography is strictly prohibited. So it's only a matter of time before they go to Floor Number 3. For what it's worth, I don't have an instagrammy account thingy.

Just a small bit of perspective from this lowly child of the magenta line. Take it or leave it, but this bitter picking on the new generation of pilots is wrong - and too easy. Harry has hit the nail on the head. Primary foundation lies in the trainers.

The real enemy is the one who sits on Floor Number 9...

Fuel-Off

Last edited by Fuel-Off; 29th Sep 2017 at 05:05.