PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2017, 22:11
akry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrias
Roland,

If you want to get a qualification / degree aim to study a non-aviation related degree (i.e. Engineering). That is IF you want to get a qualification / degree. I reiterate that simply because all you really need to become a pilot is enough money and the riight attitude towards the job.

Degrees cost money, money that could have been spent on flying. No use in spending thousands on an Aviation Management degree when your first job as a low hour pilot will be to learn how to fly the line and not manage the Airline...

Also, with the Air Force - here is where you'll need to make the decision of whether you want to pursue a Commercial career or an Air Force career. If Air Force is the goal then study as hard as you can, get a degree and apply to the Air Force - keep in my mind that this route is very though and you'll need to proof yourself during the panel interview both on paper (grades) and as a person (leadership, aptitude etc.)

However, since you're 5 years away from becoming eligible to apply for the Air Force you can either start preparing by getting your degree, perhaps learning to fly a glider as it is a cost effective way and a VERY good way to learn the Aerodynamics of flying, OR you can use that money you would have spent and start learning now and building your hours now in order to pursue a Commercial career.

Don't forget that New Zealand have very good flying clubs in the country that offer great support whilst learning. Clubs also have instructors that know the ropes and whose knowledge and experience are invaluable to students and the last time I checked, Clubs don't charge $200k for training.

Good luck.

Thank you for this information,
I have talked to an officer and yes apparently it's pretty hard to get it. I don't really have saved up money, but i just found out there is a few flying club that's recognized by studylink, so i could get a student loan. Well, Engineering is 5 years, and i dont think its too easy. however if i do it i would have a backup plan, plus i could make my own money for flight lessons.
is university not a must? can you really be an airline transport pilot without any degree?
If i don't need any degree then i could just use that student loan to learn how to fly, and start working as an instructor or something similar.

When i went to talk to an officer at the air force, he said well minimal requirement is lvl2 math and science. but if you wanna be competitive, and you want to get in as well, you kinda need a degree, and few other qualification.