PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - handovers from europe to London control vs London information
Old 27th Sep 2017, 07:09
custardpsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handovers from europe to London control vs London information

I have seen a couple of posts a while back about this particular issue, is there anyone on here who can shed some light on it?

In short, lower level SEP type traffic files an IFR flight plan from europe to uk, and despite being on an IFR flight plan, gets handed to london info 124.6 instead of continuing with london control.

I have done two trips recently where it all worked reasonably well, but my colleague did the very same trip and got handed to 124.6 who then had to try and negotiate a clearance, ended up suggesting freecall southend for radar service but had to descend 2300 and remain clear etc.

Both of us filed IFR flight plans, and my experience was better but not ideal

Outbound denham it works really well, clearance passed from the tower on start, climb on route to join controlled airspace at brookmans park, headings @ FL80 thence to the coast and a handover to the (very good) approach controller at lille or ostend , on the star or vectors to the ils. Coming home it seems to be a little less systematic, one trip handed on to southend for radar, next trip handed to thames radar. Southend were great and we remained in controlled airspace right til stapleford then descent below the TMA. Thames were a little less helpful, had to descend to 4000 DET-LAM which was fine but just before LAM pushed out below the TMA, but still offered a handover / service from Heathrow Radar at 2300 ft OCAS. Would have seemed much more sensible to have been at say 2500, under positive control and above the VFR traffic. At least I didn't get dumped onto London Info which is effectively an enforced IFR cancellation just when you don't need it.

Anyone got any advice or alternative viewpoints ?

My suggestion was to refuse the handover and request handover to london control instead, after all you are in or about to be in their airspace... But what about lost comm in IFR with no VFR weather below MEA ? continue with the flight plan? but there is a possible argument that says the flight plan isn't in the system which is why you get handed off to Info, so you are now a lost comm a/c in the TMA with no flight plan. Not good...