PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPAS Gongs
Thread: RPAS Gongs
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2017, 13:13
Wwyvern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aldergrove

I nearly bit through my after- lunch brandy glass. Aldergrove Ops not deserving of a medal? What NONSENSE.
Who says the arrest of a slightly inebriated airman found entangled in the barbed wire surrounding the military part of Aldergrove, whose very voluble cries and triggering of various acoustic warnings caused the guard to be called out, and whose cries only subsided when he was advised to pipe down and he heard the cocking of several guards’ weapons, is not in an operational area? That gave the Detachment Commander nightmares for several nights, and certainly warrants the description “risk and rigour”.
And what about the domestic problem of living in the Mess with young pilots of evil intent, one of whom dealt with another who was irritating him by pouring his newly-bought pint over the irritant’s head. “The best 2 and 6 I’ve ever spent” were his exact words after the event.
And what about the damage done to a brave crewman on an Aldergove Perimeter patrol, who acquired severe bruising by direct contact with a very grumpy ram whom the crewman had righted from the ram’s prone-on-his back position in a field close to the airfield? If we’d been in the USAF, would the crewman not have been awarded a Purple Heart?

Disclaimer:- Sorry, not trying to trivialise the subject. I think anyone with direct input to an operation should have medallic recognition. The rosette system of ”in and out” of theatre seems to fill the bill.

PS Before my time, but was here not a time when the GSM for Malaya was issued to new arrivals with their joining documentation?