PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Cancelling flights!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 17:38
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the pilots & cabin crew MUST do is not let this become a campaign perceived to be for higher salaries. It is much more than that. The debacle is about not having enough crews- full stop. Why, is a follow up issue. It is not about pilots having to have extra leave; and what about leave for cabin crew? They have not had a mention, but I assume are equally affected.
The cancelling of flights has brought the lack of pilots issue into focus. That has then thrown up the manner in which pilots are contracted etc. Not enough pilots is a management issue. Why too few? Is it purely about T's & C's? Could well be because the shortage is about pilots leaving faster than can be replaced. That is exacerbated by a too rapid expansion: that is a management decision. if the airline consolidated its position then recruitment might keep up with departures. But RYR has to expand to survive. It's the nature of the beast, and that is not the fault of the pilots.
Why so many are leaving is about general T's & C's & zero hour contracts. If RYR can spin tis into a pay rise dispute the pilots will lose public support. The pilots have to 'get the truth out there' and refute with facts the drivel that is being spouted about the situation. RYR's pronouncements are getting all the media attention. There needs to be rebuttals of equal strength.