PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The fatigued machine
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 18:27
CaptainChipotle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a747,

Totally agree and great post. With an expat airline you will always have more variables in habits and experience.

I've called fatigue numerous times (both as an FO and as a Captain) at EK. I was only partially questioned one time by a rather famous German on the third floor, and believe it or not, after looking at my roster and my simple explanation he told me that I did the right thing! I've only backed up EK management on one thing, and its this issue from my personal experience.

the OMA states that you are to remove yourself from duty if you are unfit. it also says that you will get a roster that will allow you to rest adequately. Bottom line, if they don't do their job, you can't do yours. "I was too tired or fatigued" isn't an excuse. Period.

I'm lucky enough to be from a part of the world that I could pack up and go home, and I don't have children in the school systems, so EK didn't have their claws too deep into me.

IMO, the bottom line is that the culture at EK must be changed within the FD to not be afraid to drop the "F" bomb. Easier said than done though.

Safe flying out there,

CC