PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-10
Thread: Ryanair-10
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2017, 08:20
mik3bravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpannerInTheWerks
What goes around, comes around. This issue has been brewing for at least 15 years. MOL has reaped what he has sown - this issue is far more than pilots' annual leave naturally.

Sooner or later employees will take no more and vote with their feet - which has been going on to some extent for a long time now.

I've never spoken to anyone with a good opinion of Ryanair. Nothing about their organisation, from the comments made to me, puts them in contention for an 'Investor in People' type award.

Don't be too confident that Ryanair is exempt from it's own self-destruction - this is a PR nightmare and the pilot shortage within the company a potentially insoluble problem.

Pilots are not made overnight and simulator capacity cannot be increased at a whim. Someone mentioned on LinkedIn a few days ago that airline flying is not as attractive as a career option anymore - thanks in no small part to people like MOL, a lack of sponsorship (investment in people) generally and an expensive no-other-option training route to a fATPL/MPL.

I'm sorry for the passengers of course, but I for one would be pleased to see Ryanair and their attitudes to the public and staff crash and burn in a metaphorical sense.
I agree with your comment regarding commercial airline pilot as an occupation is no longer seen as an attractive career. Doing the maths, time taken to achieve min. Requirements plus work life balance / family friendly,etc. and cost to recoup your education investment means its not as attractive now. Plenty of other career routes out their with much higher attractive factors on many levels.

However, there will always remain a cohort of wannabes focused on getting into the right seat and jet time. Likes of Ryanair offers that basic hours building to help pilots look at opportunity with longhaul fleets elsewhere. For some, there will always be ambition of a right seat or PIC on the 380 or Dreamliner.