PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Operating Cost for a 7X v Legacy 650
Old 18th Sep 2017, 06:12
Yan601

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Operating Cost for a 7X v Legacy 650

We currently operate a Challenger 601 and the boss feels that it is time to change and upgrade the old bird. I thought we would be looking at a 605 as this would be the natural jump, but the boss has gone a bit off the reservation (and Bombarider) and has narrowed his options to either (a) used 7x (around 2010-2012 vintage), or (b) a Legacy 650.

He likes the three cabin layout of both planes (he doesn't really care what happens up front), and loves the reliability of the 650 and its discrete ramp presence, but the 7x is tempting as given some changes to his business we will be flying from Barcelona to Auckland about every 6 weeks, so he is quite tempted by the longer ranger adnfewer stops the 7x would need.

The brokers are saying with the 7x we would not see much difference on the operating cost over a Legacy 650 (and neither should be that different from our 601), and from the data I can gather at least on paper there does not seem to be that much difference (ignoring acquisition cost).

I would greatly appreciate if anyone would have any real world information or views on how different the operating costs would be.

The other question I have is whether anyone is able to confirm real world range on the two aircraft. From the number I can see the 7x should be able to do Barcelona to Auckland with just one fuel stop (and crew change) and the same on the return. The Legacy 650 would seem to need 3 stops. Anyone able to confirm either of these on real world figures would be appreciated. Load will be pretty low, usually it is either just him and his family (wife plus 2 young kids) and maybe a personal assistant.

Outside the Auckland trip its mainly just within Europe, so his view is if operating costs really are similar, then the higher purchase price is worth it, otherwise his view is he'll just probably live with the extra fuel stops and go for a 650.