PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2017, 17:53
Barling Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southend-2

This is a very positive view of SEN from a travel article on the Sun "newspaper" website:

"FROM Roman Emperors to Hollywood movie stars, Lake Como has a long history as a hangout for the rich and famous. So, as I was on my way to Italy’s most fashionable holiday hotspot, it was only natural I received a VIP airport experience. I left my motorbike in front of the terminal, waltzed through security without queuing then had a fancy meal while waiting for my flight.
No, George Clooney hadn’t invited me to his lakeside villa on a private jet — I was just another passenger at Southend Airport, where even economy-class customers feel like a million dollars.
Recently rated the best airport serving the capital by Which? Southend makes flying such a doddle that you’ll never want to set foot in a full-size airport again. With a customer rating of 84 per cent — 16 per cent more than any airport in London — the short-haul terminal feels like something from the golden age of air travel.
Security staff are plentiful and friendly, you can park within walking distance of the check-in desk or catch a 45-minute train from central London, and this year saw the opening of Bourgee Bites-Bar-Luxe Lounge, a classy joint adding glamour to the tiny airport. Billed as “affordable luxury”, the bar opens from 4am every day, serving a range of cocktails, champagne, brunch and mouth-watering teaser-style dishes. Don’t board your flight before scoffing an order of maple-and-sesame beef bits with soy-and-lime dipping sauce.
It was two and a half hours to Milan….."

As LTNman would no doubt be quick to point out, such an excellent experience is unlikely to continue if SEN becomes much busier, but at the moment all seems well.