PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Battle of Britain
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2017, 16:13
Danny42C

Dr Jekyll (#97),

Don't think so: From Wiki:

..."The ATA recruited pilots who were considered to be unsuitable for either the Royal Air Force or the Fleet Air Arm by reason of age, fitness or gender. A unique feature of the ATA was that physical handicaps were ignored if the pilot could do the job"...

In the flower of my youth (aged 20), and after 200 hours of military flying training to "wings" standard, I had to do another 100 hours and four month's RAF training to be acceptable as a fighter squadron new boy (in 1942, I should add). The Battle only lasted three months in 1940.

Both sides were brought to their knees by attrition of pilots. Aircraft production kept pace on either side (with production lines set up, you can produce Spitfires or Messerscmitds like family cars) But nobody then or since can take a lad off the street and turn him into a military pilot in less than 12 months. In the words of the Iron Duke at Waterloo: "Hard pounding, Gentlemen - we shall see who can pound the longest". In 1940 it was us !

The "or gender" is a hot potato now - but not then. As Kipling said: "The Female of the Species is More Deadly Than the Male" (the poem is worth a read). The women were 14% of the ATA, they did sterling work (and lost their lives) in ferrying repairs and replacements back to the fighting squadrons (who would otherwise have to divert their own pilots for the job).

All honour to the ATA !

Danny.