PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Battle of Britain
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2017, 20:08
Danny42C

Ian BB,

Roaming about enjoyably n the "Pilot's Brevet" Posts of those days (2014 and 2015) when the question of the Arnold Washouts was being kicked-about ad nauseam, I now realise the value of your sage contributions to the mix (and Chugalug's and many other's).

Several other "Why"s will never get an answer now: e.g. Why did the USAAC not notice that their Pilot Training syllabus (of 200 hours in three phases) was half as long (and therfore expensive) again as ours (on which, I believe, the BFTS was modelled ?) notwithstanding that our OTUs could see no innate superiority in the finished (Arnold) product?

The USAAC specified that 10% of the BFTS intake should be US Cadets. Clearly that was to evaluate the British system. What was learned from that ?

Why did they think it necessary to introduce an intermediate type (in my case the Vultee BT-13, of unhappy memory), between "Primary" (our EFTS) and "Advanced" (SFTS), when we could demonstrate that the average pupil could make the leap beteen a TM or Stearman and the Harvard without undue difficulty ?

Now we'll never know. Perhaps there was an element of "Not Invented Here".

Danny .

Edit: Doesn't the Good Book add: "Or Four Score by Reason of Strength" ? I may "do the ton" - but I wouldn't put money on it !
D.

Last edited by Danny42C; 16th Sep 2017 at 20:23. Reason: Addn.