PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch - 3
Thread: Monarch - 3
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2017, 10:15
mrshubigbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monarch have "survived" in this industry for approaching 50 years. That doesn't happen unless you are doing something right! Dozens and dozens of other carriers in the UK have come and gone in that time! Somebody in the business knows how to "hang on in there"! Some might call it luck rather than judgement but the bottom line is, somehow they are still here! With major wobbles in both 2014 and 2016 nobody either in the airline or outside has a crystal ball to predict the future. My own view is that owners Greybull aren't in the business to make just pennies. They want a very big return on turning the business around. Can they do it as a stand alone operator or will they sell to the highest bidder in an ever congested market where airports are rapidly filling up? We can speculate as much as we like about that, but right now they are still in business, taking delivery of 45 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft over the next five years and that is it! Speculate all you like, however what you might be thinking compared to what Greybull are planning are two completely separate issues. Personally I have my own thoughts but there is no point in any further speculative nonsense is there? Let's concentrate perhaps on the fact that they are "one of the survivors" of an industry littered with failures since the 1960s and celebrate that success during their 50th Anniversary next year and perhaps hope that they'll successfully steer a safe and profitable path through the next 50 years! Who knows? How many other major UK carriers can you name that are still in business trading under their original name after so long? Other than Monarch I'm struggling to think of any - and that's a fact! OK I might just accept Aurigny or Loganair!

Last edited by mrshubigbus; 16th Sep 2017 at 10:28.