PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approach - when to climb?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2017, 06:59
Virtually There

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thefeatheredone
It legally means you are either conducting the approach, (within tolerances, aids etc), or you are not, which means therefore you are conducting the missed approach. Its one or the other. There is no scope to waffle around. As soon as you loose an aid, go outside tolerance, don't get visual, it becomes a missed approach. Split second.
Agreed. But pick an RNAV - any RNAV - and read the MA instructions. Most, if not all, state "Track DCT to H, at H turn left/right heading X. Climb to X." - in that order.

If I were to read that literally - in chronological order (full stops and all) - it is telling me to track DCT to H then climb to X. Conversely, the schematic shows the climb-out from the MAPt. Prior to the MAPt there is only the MDA to contend with.

I take the point that the first thing you do in any go-around is achieve a positive rate of climb. However, there appears to be a loophole and some are suggesting it be exploited to maintain level with the possibility of breaking visual and conducting a visual approach. For the umpteenth time, I am NOT suggesting this. But I still cannot see where it is strictly against any reg.