PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 12th Sep 2017, 17:13
FlimsyFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRAB

Crab, thanks for your pragmatic and entirely logical post. It makes a lot of sense that in order to kick off the VRS, there is a massive lowering of power OGE in the simulation, and even though power is applied liberally to achieve the sink rate we saw, the condition is still very artificial. What we are doing is nothing like any real approach profile, no matter how poorly executed.

Trouble with being a low hour pilot is that there's no shortcut to having 10000 hrs, so some of us do attend courses and read these forums in order to try to become better pilots. Posts like yours greatly help with understanding the issues, and come across as far more professional and constructive than many of the others here.

I will try to tidy up my videos of the VT demo, which were taken with an iPhone. As we have glass we get a 'scan' effect, and the ROD descent bug can only be seen when zoomed in.

I'll post a link when I've got it sorted.

In answer to another question, whilst I've only done the RHC safety course in a 66, VT demos were most definitely being done in 44s too. Don't know about the R22 tho.

FF