PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 12th Sep 2017, 13:30
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling
...Poling sideways to obain the sort of recovery speed one is after would require signifiacnt nose left/right and maintaining it - not very comfotable at all. Better to nose down which the a/c is designed for from a slipstream perspective.
But technically as long as you exit the turbulence beneath the rotor disc - left/right/back front - you will recover.
(A comment from a VRS novice) Going off the comments of those who have been in a fully developed VRS the helicopter is bib-bobbing all over the place. So the idea of being uncomfortable with the direction of cyclic input may be moot. I'd imagine by the time the world stops tumbling and the sideways movement becomes the next item of pilot attention then the machine is out of VRS state and can be recovered to forward flight - likely already straightened up before the VRS-novice pilot starts to think about it.

Note - my only exposure to what were called VRS were during initial training where the instructor demonstrated it to me in a 300. It were such a pleasant experience compared to what is described here that in hindsite I'd say we wern't anywhere near a developed VRS. I have though whilst mustering had what i thought were some bumpy settling with power incidents. And the difference is...