PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747 Flying Tiger Line crash CFIT Kuala Lumpur February 1989
Old 12th Sep 2017, 03:41
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several videos online puporting to have the Tigers 66 CVR recording but I think most if not all actually have audio from a training tape done in the sim from the published CVR transcript.

I've operated that Changi to Subang leg a few times in years past with both round dials and glass. It's only a few minutes, looks like a piece of cake after the long flight into Singapore but is often full of weather, terrain and similar sounding fixes.

Of course, ignoring a GPWS on approach at night has repeatedly proven to be a fatal mistake.

I somehow associate this crash with the 'no significant loss of life' phrase used, often ironically, to explain the sometimes lower regulatory standards and higher accident rate found in cargo flying.

However, this cite references a cargo plane crash in 1997:

He noted what some freighter pilots see as callousness toward them by federal regulators. That was evidenced for many pilots by a National Transportation Safety Board review of the crash of a freighter that killed eight crewmembers in December 1997. The official NTSB report included a line that the tragedy involved ''no significant loss of life.''

Not having cargo aircraft equipped with the same safety equipment as other jetliners is shortsighted at best, Whyte said.
https://www.joc.com/cargo-planes-fal..._20000228.html