PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK politics - Hamsterwheel
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2017, 16:38
VP959

I believe that Jacob Rees-Mogg hasn't ever made any suggestion that he wishes to be more than just a good MP. It seems that his strong principles and something about his character have caused a bit of a social media storm around him; something I'm not even convinced he really encourages.

He comes across as a bloke with principles, some I agree with, some I vehemently disagree with, but above everything he seems honest; something that seems a rare commodity amongst politicians in general.

Other politicians have risen to greatness whilst pursuing democratically determined policies that were at odds with their personal beliefs. Some have been honest, others like Tony Blair openly dishonest (I still cannot understand how Blair can square away his deceit and lack of moral judgement with his professed religious beliefs, to this day).

If it comes down to trustworthiness, then I would be inclined to compare Jacob Rees-Mogg with the late David Penhaligon. He was also a man of principle, who was not afraid to go against any political viewpoint if it meant that he could better represent his constituents.