PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a good way to burn off extra fuel
Old 5th Sep 2017, 09:12
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find it is the regulator that sets the "standard weights" of pax not the aircraft manufacturer.

So it wont even take a smart pilot walking past his passengers to notice if many/most or all pax are over weight.

Lets say 90% appear to be a bit fat as the pilot walked down the isle - no problem here it is perfectly legal. Because it has been approved by the regulator and data had been given to average weights on certain things - this case passengers.

Now I know many companies that run extensions, on engines ( I know it not a weight thing) that are approved because a company has developed a method that has been deemed acceptable (this can be trend testing and overhaul limit checks), The regulator also has approved methods to test colour blind pilots - but that's a different story.

Now it is certainly possible to have a approved system in place to handle small overweight conditions (so may just need to be recorded) - the over weight landing checks for instance depend on by how much over weight was the landing, a very small amount requires a very small inspection, a large amount is a different story.

FYI I have worked FAA, EASA, CASA and a few of the CAA's