PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Cadet" pilot or First Officer under training?
Old 4th Sep 2017, 02:31
dr dre

Received 322 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by sheppey
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...r/ao-2016-046/

"Cadet Pilot" Is this the latest terminology by ATSB for a fully qualified type rated crew member? First Officer (U/T) under training, would be a more accurate description.
That's correct. Regardless of their background once they have completed their initial licences, ratings and type endorsement, they are employed by the company and are undertaking line training just like any other new hire pilot, so whilst undertaking line training they should be referred to as a First Officer or First Officer under training.

With no co-pilot type rating training under Part 61, is simulator training for the A320 certified to command standard or to a different level for cadet pilots?
I would assume if the training for any other pilot in a certified simulator gets you a command endorsement on type then I can't see why it shouldn't be any different if you happened to have trained via a cadet program.

I don't have any idea why the ATSB decided to refer to the PF in this incident as a "cadet" when it wasn't necessary.

Last edited by dr dre; 4th Sep 2017 at 05:09.