PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors - any favourite "bon mots" ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 18:57
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
Les Baker was overseeing his co-pilot carrying out this procedure in a Vulcan 2. That's when they found out that the rudder on the 2 couldn't contain the yaw of two Olympus's on one side at full chat.................
Ken Baker.

At the time of this crash the Vulcan was operated to 104% take-off power, later it was restricted to cruise power which was quite adequate.

I am sure BEagle can retell the proper throttle management for a roller after a simulated engine failure. While it is correct that there was insufficient rudder authority the problem was the live engines had a more rapid response to throttle movement than the two at idle.

I wonder how many fatalities were caused from practising asymmetric than actually occurred for real? How many actual asymmetric incidents were saved from previous practise? I know the later figure is probably too difficult to assess, but in addition to the notorious Meteor and Canberra crashes, the Vulcan one mentioned, I know of a Valetta one, essentially the same as the Hastings one above where the wrong engines were shut down. The Kegworth crash was also mishandling but was an actual emergency.