PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2017, 13:19
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by EnigmAviation
Agreed - but despite what they did, I can understand why the RAF forbids any formalised training or organised activity within any civilian club.

Notwithstanding all of the above, and the fact that there is a trace of some activity going on in the extremely limited VGS operation, I think that it is an abysmal and shocking fact that they ( HQ Air Cadets and RAF) are kidding themselves that all is well. Reality is that it's an absolute trace element of what was previously the normal VGS productivity.

Wings for one sortie - PTT training - its an absolute sham.
Back in the '90s, the enterprising OC of 2409 (RAF Halton) Sqdn ATC got HQAC to approve a special 'blood chit' to be signed by cadets' parents to allow AEF by approved pilots in civil registered microlights. I was one of the approved pilots (there were I think 4 VRT Officers and and 2 civilians approved) and Rob (the OC) had to send monthly returns to HQAC telling them how many hours we had flown with and without cadets.
This was using Cyclone AX3 microlights. Later we re-equipped with Chevvron 2-32c's as HQAC didn't like Rotax 2 -stroke engines, and the club was then paid to provide Microlight Flying Scholarships. I think about 19 of these were completed when the funding was abruptly 'pulled'; I was never told why this happened.
Had Rob's enterprising 'vision' been continued, maybe cadet flying wouldn't now be in the state that it is now.