View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2017, 21:42
JEM60

'Live every day as if it's your last, because one day you are going to be right'
Quote from film 'Breaker Morant'. Survived stage 4 bowel and colon cancer 7 years ago. Lost 7 of my best male friends in the last five years, only two were older than I [being nearly 75]. Dying is part of life, and I think about it most days. I look back at the wonderful life I never expected to have, being from a very poor family etc. Met and married the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, 46 years married now, travelled the world, flew light aircraft and gliders, Skydived for a time, have lovely offspring etc etc., and ran my own business for 39 years. When the time comes, which of course it eventually will, I have always said that I can die with a smile on my face, because I had such a good time. I keep going with the walking, dancing, watching the diet etc. in order to prolong it for as long as possible. Last 'wish list' box will be ticked in May, cruising Alaska.
My thoughts, however, are always with people less fortunate than myself, and the thought of loosing people very close is very troublesome. My wife is 8 years younger than I, and I do hope I will be the first to go, because I am not sure that I could cope otherwise...........