PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gold Bars and Flying Suits
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2017, 11:11
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to wear a flying suit in the Chipmunk as it kept the oil off your clothes during the pre and post flight. When it wore out I just wore an old pair of jeans and a past-its-prime shirt. In the L4 Cub in summer, flying with the side open, shorts and T shirt were the norm, often bare foot as well.

I once accompanied a Beech Musketeer pilot to Skegness. He wore a flying suit.. in a Musketeer! On arrival his circuits were so massive that he kept losing sight of the field, and when spotting it, approaching it too far off runway heading to land. After half a dozen attempts and a bit of advice he kept the circuit tighter and managed to land. By now quite a crowd had gathered by the club house to see what on earth was going on with all these off-axis go-arounds.

The Beech owner took off his flying suit while still in the aeroplane "so they won't know who was flying it". As we 3 (we had a back seat pax) walked to the clubhouse from the aeroplane me and the pax positioned ourselves either side of our pilot, making vigorous pointing gestures at him. I think he took it in good heart.