PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM lands in typhoon in Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 12:23
slast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kai Tak fun

25 years ago a night IGS at Kai Tak in a typhoon was only my 3rd sector 744 sector after being let loose i/c, and first actual landing in HKG. It was the return leg of a Seoul shuttle. With a big typhoon forecast to arrive at exactly our scheduled arrival time, departure was preceded by discussion with ops in London.
Me: "With this forecast there's a good chance you won't have an aircraft for the London departure - what's your preference if we don't get in - Manila? Taipei? Back here (Seoul)? Bangkok?"
Ops: "We don't care where you end up as long you get out of INC (Seoul) on time... There was a similar situation a month ago, we delayed 3 hours to let it clear but our passengers rioted in the terminal because Cathay and Korean left on time. They did divert and our flight arrived much earlier, but the local papers were full of negative stories, we don't want a repetition of that, so just fill up and see how you get on!".

The IGS was certainly exciting in those conditions, cloudbase and visibility were also close to minimums. Luckily for me the wind was reasonably in line and there was a break enabling us to get in on the first attempt. A certain amount of fizzy liquid had to be liberated from the F/C bar for use in the hotel.....